I am good at a few things and not-so-good at many things. After recounting the various conversations with my Saturday running group yesterday, I came up with a few areas that I am “short” in getting ready for spring. I’ve got hundreds more “areas” but here are a few to start off the spring season:
1. I want to be better at loving g-ds creatures. I can honestly say that I hate mice and bats. I am not in love with the box elder bugs that have invaded our house (which no one seems “bugged” by but me). I really despise the geese that seem to be coming back in full force. I stepped on their remnants yesterday. Yuck.
2. I am terrible at relaxing. Or better yet, I am terrible at understanding how or when to relax. My ex said to me yesterday (after I mentioned that I was tired from vacation with the kids), “How could you possibly think that taking a vacation with the very people who you need to vacation from, would be a vacation?” Well put. I need to find real quiet time to regroup this spring.
3. In keeping with #2, I am terrible at finishing a book. I used to read all the time. Now, The Economist is the best I can do (the articles are short). I took two books on vacation and didn’t crack either one. What’s happening to my mind? Is it turning to mush? I am going to promise to read three great books this summer. Any suggestions?
4. I am really bad at shopping. Not shopping for food. I’m awesome at that one. I am bad at clothes shopping – especially when the season changes. I’m afraid it has rubbed off on my daughter, who also doesn’t like shopping for clothes. We have to make a “treat” out of it by buying a cup of our favorite flavored Super America coffee before hand just to get revved up for the experience. Sorry honey, that you got that one from me.
5. I am really bad at just watching a sporting event for my kids. It doesn’t matter the sport, I apparently cheer to the point of annoying my kids (well, everything I do annoys them but that’s another 25 blogs). I’m going to try to be more “reserved” as this spring season gets underway. I promise kids!
So, no great philosophical ideas today. Nothing earth shattering. Just a recognition that as spring is coming (although not here today) I have a bit of personal “house-cleaning” to do. Anyone else want to fess up?
Enjoy your Sunday. Since my NCAA bracket is shattered, maybe I’ll read a book today!