Yesterday was a really great day and I learned a few things in the process:
1. I went running (yea!) with a couple of women in the morning and I learned that I am not the only one working to improve communication skills with my kids and in my personal life. One woman, married for 20+ years, talked about how easy it is to get stuck in her communications with her spouse because she is thinking, “What am I getting from this conversation/relationship,” rather than thinking “What can I give to this conversation/relationship.” Fantastic thought … I’m going to use it!
2. In talking to a friend about how people move through life — getting from A to B , he reminded me that it’s not about our path or how long it takes us, it’s about where we end up. Sometimes the path is a bit crooked but it will still lead us to the place we are supposed to be. Nice.
2. I learned that at high school varsity games, the parents are terrible in the way they yell at the referees. I mean really bad. My kids say this is how it is. I think it is not how it should be. I believe we were supposed to be respectful so as to be good role models for our athletes. This was highly disappointing to me.
3. I noted that 13 year-old girls like to hang out in swarms and that 13 year-old boys like pretend they don’t notice the girls but really are watching their every move. Some things never change.
4. I learned that there is nothing more fun than watching my daughter and her friends. They are so honest, care about one another and have such a great time together. Those are the sorts of friendships we should have forever!
5. I was reminded how critical it is to make eye-contact with people. This occurred when an employee of a local coffee shop thanked me for asking how her day was going and actually making eye contact. She said that sometimes the employees at this location place bets on how many people will actually make eye-contact during a shift and it is usually less than 10% of those who order. Unbelievable.
6. I learned that spending time with my kids, when I am not rushed, not talking to a client, not needing to fix, cook or clean something, really is fun!
Have a great Sunday – bet you’ll learn something today!